GRID-TIED SYSTEM WITH BATTERY BACK-UP
The next type of system is a grid tied system with battery back-up, otherwise known as a grid-hybrid system. This type of system is ideal for customers who are already on the grid who know that they want to have battery back-up. Good candidates for this type of system are customers who are prone to power outages in their area, or generally just want to be prepared for outages.
- You are able to back up essential loads such as lighting and appliances when the power is out.
- You can also use energy during peak demand times because you can store the energy in your battery bank for later use
- Allows you to have more savings because it is efficient
- Offers net metering
- Requires a low cost of equipment and installation
- With this system there are costs involved more than the basic grid-tied systems. Which means that they are less efficient.
- There are also more components.
- The addition of the batteries also requires a charge controller to protect them
- . There must also be a sub panel that contains the important loads that you want to be backed up.
- Not all the loads that the house uses on the grid are backed up with the system. Important loads that are needed when the grid power is down are isolated into a back-up sub panel.